Business Impact Summary
"Ventyx Ellipse is a solid tool that supports the Navy’s SALINO and SAGE platforms by providing centralized storage and the ability to constantly update information on naval materials throughout their entire life cycle."
ADMIRAL JOSÉ MIGUEL GARCÍA
The Chilean Navy needed to improve the way it managed and processed logistical data on assets to:
- Provide greater visibility of its assets over their entire life cycle
- Speed decision making processes through an integrated logistics management system
- Reduce timeframes to conduct major vessel refurbishments
The Chilean Navy uses the following Ventyx solutions:
- Ventyx Ellipse EAM streamlines asset infrastructure to improve productivity and reduce operating costs
- Ventyx Ellipse ERP improves inventory visibility, provides real-time information on equipment, supply and maintenance and reduces personnel involved in logistic processes
- Ventyx LinkOne provides correct and timely part information via a graphical content delivery solution
Today, the Chilean Navy’s IT platform is internationally renowned for:
- An 80% increase in operational availability
- A 75% reduction in major vessel refurbishments
- A 98% increase in the speed of spare parts delivery (from 48 hours to 1 hour)
[Back to top]
In 1995, the Chilean Navy undertook an extensive evaluation of the way it managed and processed its logistical data on assets, such as its warships, airplanes, marine corps and facilities equipment. Information about the Chilean Navy’s assets, including inventory, maintenance and acquisitions, was stored on 20 separate IT systems. As the systems were not integrated, exchanging data to support decision making processes was often difficult and time consuming.
The Chilean Navy needed to improve the management of its logistical processes by implementing a centralized information system that could provide greater visibility of assets over their entire lifecycle.
More than 20 IT providers, including Oracle, SAP and Ventyx, were invited to put forward proposals. With its proven success supporting the Australian Defence Force and the Canadian Defense Force, Mincom was selected as the provider of choice to deliver a fully integrated, military logistics support solution.
[Back to top]
By the end of 1999, the Chilean Navy had successfully implemented Ventyx’s ERP software to create the Integrated Naval Logistic Management System (referred to in Spanish as SALINO). Today, SALINO is an internationally renowned ERP system, providing the Chilean Navy with an integrated logistics process that has resulted in greater visibility of inventory, real-time information on equipment, supply and maintenance, reduced personnel involved in logistic processes, and a reduction of timeframes for conducting major vessel refurbishments from two years to six months.
In 2007, the Chilean Navy migrated to Ventyx’s industry leading Enterprise Asset Management (EAM) platform, Ventyx Ellipse. By focusing on the entire asset life cycle, the Chilean Navy was able to produce consolidated financial reports of all its naval assets while gaining a better understanding of the performance of each individual asset.
In 2008, the Chilean Navy took its adoption of Ellipse EAM and ERP a step further by incorporating information made available by the SALINO platform to create the Strategic Management Support System (known by its Spanish acronym, SAGE.) Leveraging best practices of advanced military organizations, the object of the new centralized system was to provide assistance to command headquarters, administrative commands and executive commands, based on a balance scorecard or “Command Dashboard” that integrates planning and execution functions.
“SAGE enabled the Chilean Navy management to achieve greater visibility and governance through online monitoring, measuring strategic deliverables, unit reporting, timely and efficient corrections for improved planning,” said Admiral José Miguel García, the Chilean Navy’s SALINO administrator. “It also helped us reduce the risks associated with manual data transfers.”
As a project, the Ventyx Ellipse-based SALINO system represented a major milestone in the advancement of information management at the Chilean Navy.
Another key concept in the Chilean Navy’s mission supported by Ventyx Ellipse is operational readiness. “We wanted to create a fail-proof process for evaluating all data around physical infrastructure and human resources training to ensure they were ready to support any military exercise.”
New qualitative and quantitative measures were put in place to assess data, and certain procedures that used to be recorded on paper are now kept on SALINO.
“As a result, data is no longer impacted by subjective evaluations, improving the safety of our data management. Additionally, new electronic governance around infrastructure and personnel-related processes and conditions mean there are no longer units responsible for performing the dual roles of maintenance and application of protocols. It has also enabled us to bolster the training levels of our personnel by producing regular training reports which can be seen in the system in a consolidated format. This also motivates personnel to continually strive to improve their skills and reach high standards of readiness.”
The Chilean Navy has also improved purchasing decisions around the quality and capabilities of spare parts and consumables through the implementation of Ventyx’s graphical content solution, LinkOne. “We are now able to identify necessary parts for equipment 300% faster than before, resulting in reduced maintenance times, downtimes and instances of faults.”
[Back to top]
"We have witnessed the benefits at user level and the improvement in the level of readiness of our resources.”
CAPTAIN OF PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT
CHILEAN NAVY GENERAL STAFF
80% of the indicators used by the Director General to administer the Chilean Navy are provided by SALINO.
By reviewing and studying how data is used and shared within the organization, in the last five years, the Chilean Navy has increased the Ventyx Ellipse application user rate by more than 60% across the organization. Other benefits include:
- More than 20% reduction in personnel involved in logistic processes
- Faster scheduling of shipyard maintenance, reducing scheduling times from 14 to 2 months
- Increased operational availability by more than 80% through the 24x7 monitoring of assets
- Shorter delivery time of spare parts to operational units, from 48 hours to 1 hour
- Greater capital efficiency gains, saving at least 10% through the availability of quality information
- Reduction in time to educate personnel in logistics and maintenance practices by more than 25%
- Reduction in data quality errors to less than 2%
- Greater efficiency around inventory for spare parts and consumables required for ships, improving usability rates by more than 90%
- Improved training of at least 1,000 personnel through Ventyx e-learning tools installed on all Naval Technology Academy computers, ultimately resulting in faster maintenance and repair of ships, reducing their time in the dockyard
- Greater access to logistical information from the time of purchase, enabling for fast integration into the logistic chain once delivered
- Greater visibility of accurate information about the Chilean Navy’s maintenance activities, enabling for more effective planning around the ships’ activities
- Easier collaboration with other navies during combined operations around exchanging logistic information about NATO catalogued spare parts
Humberto Senarega, Captain of Performance Management, Chilean Navy General Staff said, “After 10 years of using Ventyx solutions, we now have a systematic approach to managing our fleet performance by class, configuration, equipment and components, enabling us to calculate the cost of every asset over its life cycle. Ventyx Ellipse has enabled us to create a single standard logistics database across the entire organization, making it easier for us to quickly adapt to new trends and other changes in the defense environment.”
[Back to top]